Tuesday, June 12, 2007

mika @ the fillmore, 6/9



Oh, what a night ...

I can't believe it. I didn't expect to still be doing this at my age, but there's nothing more exhilarating than being in a crowd of sweaty, sweaty young screaming teenagers. But even more better: going to concerts. It seems so long ago when I went to my first concert back in 1998 (a late bloomer), something called the Jingle Jam. It was a fun experience, but my heart knew that there could be more.

Anyway, fast forward almost ten years later and dozens and dozens of concerts later, and you would have come to last Saturday where it seemed like every concert I've ever been to felt like horseshit compared to the Mika concert I experienced at The Fillmore. Possibly one of my favorite venues ever (well, just because they offer free cold apples and sometimes the trademark concert posters), and probably one I loathe as well due to it being standing room only. You could feel the vibrations on the hardwood floors. And I'm not being overdramatic or poetic or anything; the floor was literally shaking, and this was due to everyone getting restless at some point waiting for the show to begin and waiting for him to come back out for an encore.

Dressed in some update of John Travolta's "Saturday Night Fever" getup, I felt like I was watching some 70s disco star strut his stuff through smoke and lights-- damn, I felt it. I felt every note he sang, and I felt like I was in the presence of a superstar. I couldn't put my finger on it, but for the love of me, Mika is pure magic. He's theatrical, spontaneous, flamboyant ... whatever describes anyone who loves to put on a big show. Every move he made caused me to scream and reach my hand out, hoping that he would reach out for me, too. It was very surreal and off-putting.

The set-list was full of all the songs everyone knows, from "Grace Kelly" to "Erase" ... the ballads gave everyone a moment to take time to rest from all the jumping and such, all of which everyone swayed in unison. I, however, took the time to just stare at him as he clinked away on his piano. Couldn't take my eyes off him during the whole thing, and that scares me a little.

My favorite moments came during the obvious songs. During "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" he grinded up on a well-endowed burlesque dancer, much to the delight of everyone around him. There was even a moment during "Love Today" where he started pounding on a garbage can, literally beating the sh*t out of it. It was loud, but damn, it was good. As he tossed the drumsticks away from me, I frowned. Boo. Hand it to the people in front!

The encore was another thing. I figure that if I was high, I probably would have been freaking out when I saw Mika and the band coming out in animal costumes. The bunny then proceeded to hit all of them with drumsticks (a trend, yes), but before that they danced in a circle. But then they broke out into my favorite song, "Lollipop" and balloons fell from the sky, as well as bubbles and confetti. The crowd went wild. It kind of reminded me of the last scene in "Star Wars: Episode I" when Natalie Portman hands someone a bubble. Don't ask why.

I don't know how to comprehend the show, but if I can reference the album, it was like a cartoon. Life in Cartoon Motion? Yes. But I love, love, LOVED this show. It was surreal, it was magnificent, and damn, it was good.

More pics (from the crap that is my camera phone):

More Mika!


Opening act Sara Bareilles. She was awesome. Watch out for this one.


Attack of the bunny!


Dancing in their circle. Ha!

Visit: Show review from the SF Chronicle, Mika (Official Site), Sara Bareilles

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home