Wednesday, October 03, 2007

1977: not born yet, but kinda wish I was.




SPIN magazine grabbed my attention with their latest issue, which celebrates the 30th anniversary of the year punk made its superbad debut (or big splash, for you purists that say it goes farther). My love for punk doesn't date back as far, but it definitely starts with the bands from that era: one I wish I was around to see.

But alas, I was a couple of years too late into it, but appreciation for the more known bands (Sex Pistols, the Ramones) and probably lesser known but still important (Television, one of my faves!) is something I won't apologize for. Heck ... why should I apologize for being born after this era? I shouldn't! That's not punk. Ha.

My greatest punk beginnings? My parents, whom while still young frequented the Mabuhay Gardens, aka the Fab Mab. Filipino restaurant by day, punk club by night! Upon learning this piece of history, after listening to my first Ramones record, I knew this love affair was meant to be. As someone who still thinks she needs to be better versed in the punk world, I picked up this issue pronto. More punk, the better.

Worth checking out is the interview with Johnny Rotten ... with him saying that the Ramones were never punk (among other things), it's a perfect interview. He says things that'll probably make you squirm, but it still makes for a good read.

If you don't want to pick up the issue, you can find that they have everything featured about 1977 on their website.

Visit: 1977: the year that punk exploded! (SPIN.com)
Flier: Random one from the Fab Mab, from a Flier index. Check it out for more goodies. Also notable: a show for 2 bucks? Damn.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home