Tuesday, January 22, 2008

quit the snubbing!



Oscar nominations came out. Blech.

I think a lot of the nominations are pretty much what people expected. Juno got a lot of love, as well as Daniel Day-Lewis scoring another nomination, and everyone wet themselves over Cate Blanchett for the umpteenth time in her career (twice!). Really, Academy... while she's probably this century's Meryl Streep, I do believe there were many performances this year you could have given that extra nomination to. I'm not saying Angelina Jolie should have got it, but share the love once in a while!

My heart was broken when I didn't see Emile Hirsch on the list for Best Actor for his performance in Into the Wild. It has to be one of the best of the year, a transformation for Hirsch to actually become this character. And Sean Penn, the film's director and co-writer (along with the book's author Jon Krakauer) is sorely missing from the bunch. I figured they would at least get a Best Cinematography nod due to the sweeping shots of Alaska and beyond, but they could only make due with a Best Editing and Supporting Actor nod for Hal Holbrook, who was pretty damn good in the movie, too. Also missing is Eddie Vedder with his great soundtrack. None the less, whatever recognition they got, it's Into the Wild for the win!

I can't remember a year when I've actually been happy with the Oscar nominations fully---I think there's always a chance that somebody will get snubbed. But I really, really, really hate when they're it's so obvious that they're all IDIOTS.

One more note: no love for The Simpsons Movie is a serious, serious mistake! But then again, nothing will stand a chance against Ratatouille. Nothing!

Visit: Oscars (Official site)
Photo Credit: Rotten Tomatoes

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home